Third Planet Foundation work on relief and rehabilitation during pandemic and natural disasters including tsunami, floods, earthquakes among others. During the tough times, the affected communities face tremendous challenges with lives on stake. Our dedicated team work at the impact ground directly with the affected communities and ensure support and care is provided during the tough times.
COVID 19 Relief and Rehabilitation
What is COVID-19?
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).The disease was first identified in 2019 in Wuhan, China, and has since spread globally, resulting in the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic. Common symptoms include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Muscle pain, sputum production and sore throat are less common. While the majority of cases result in mild symptoms, some progress to severe pneumonia and multi-organ failure. The rate of deaths per number of diagnosed cases is on average 3.4%, ranging from 0.2% in those under 20, to approximately 15% in those over 80 years old. Patients with pre-existing conditions, including hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and cardiovascular disease, are most at risk and represent the vast majority of deaths. The infection is typically spread from one person to another via respiratory droplets produced during coughing and sneezing. Time from exposure to onset of symptoms is generally between two and 14 days, with an average of five days. Source – Online articles, WHO and Ministry of Health.
Impact of COVID-19 in India
Indian government along with WHO has declared Coronavirus as a pandemic. It has impacted all spheres of the economy as well as the day to day lives of the people. Schools, colleges, cinema halls, malls have been shut across the nation. Companies have instructed their employees to work from home to curb the outbreak of COVID-19. People are living with a state of fear in their minds and everyone is worried about what to do next.
On 24 March 2020, the Prime Minister of India announced a 21-day nationwide lockdown: “In order to protect the country, and each of its citizens, from midnight tonight, a complete ban is being imposed on people from stepping out of their homes.” The lockdown was further extended to months and later Unlock procedure was initiated however, with lot of restriction.
Challenges in India linked with COVID-19
Health & Behavioural
- There is no vaccine available anywhere in the world to prevent coronavirus till now though, vaccination trials are ongoing as per WHO.
- Lack of awareness amongst the masses about the virus.
- Ignorance is also a major challenge in India as it has been observed that people with suspicion of being affected are running away from the hospitals and people are ignoring the importance of self-quarantine and isolation.
- Access to proper testing facilities and centres has been a challenge in India due to limited testing facilities are providing services to test COVID-19.
Economy, Livelihood & Sustainability
- It is been declared a National Lockdown for 21 days starting from 25th March 2020.
- Due to national lockdown, emergency and essential services are only operational and others are completely shut down.
- Economy hit due to global crisis will lead a major impact the industries and businesses.
- BPL (Below Poverty Line) families that includes migrant workers and daily wage earners are facing challenges across India due to the lockdown and they have very limited / minimal access to essential items including food for them and their families.
- Another critical aspect is the sustainability of the migrant workers, daily wage earners and BPL communities as what will happen to them and how they will earn post the lockdown.
- World Health Organization – WHO
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare - MoHFW
- Economic Times
Third Planet Foundation is working towards relief and rehabilitation for the daily wage earners, migrant workers and their families. We urge to come forward and support the affected people in need during the challenging time. Support them with Food and Essential Supply including Rice, Wheat Flour, Pulses, Spices, Cooking Oil, Soaps, Masks, Basic Medicines, Sanitizer etc. You can also support by providing them Financial Assistance which can help the affted people to sustain and support their families.
As the journey ahead is long and challenging for the most affected, there is an immediate need for Rehabilitation Interventions. Third Planet Foundation is working towards rehabilitation interventions through a holistic development approach including facilitating livelihoods through skill gap analysis of the local market and industry mapping . Emphasize on skilling, re-skilling and upskilling linked with placements and entrepreneurship development. Covering other critical aspects including access to quality education for the children of the affected along with healthcare and hygiene to the affected population.
Contact Us at email@example.com for more information and collaboration.
You can also connect with us at: 011 – 4168 5208 | 91 – 98113 42299